Today I went out on a limb to make vegan gingerbread with vegan chocolate decorations. I’m still newly vegan so everything is a challenge and I fully expect things not to work out. Well today was NOT one of those days. This – through trail and error – turned out FANTASTIC!
The Gingerbread recipe I borrowed and adapted from Vegan Richa. She uses candied ginger and nuts but I just wanted a light gingery cake so I left those things out. I used my special Christmas Tree and Snowman cake tins that have been in the back of the cupboard for two years unopened. And they were fabulous. Here’s the recipe:
VEGAN GINGERBREAD CAKES
1 cup Green Banana Flour (you can use any flour – except for coconut or peanut or soy as these will draw out too much moisture)
½ cup Coconut Flour (or plain flour, or almond for a denser cake)
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1Tbs fresh minced ginger (I used Gourmet Garden in a tube)
1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
1/4 cup powdered Xylitol
¼ tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup Enjoy Life choc chips
2 Tablespoons ground Chia Seeds or flax seed meal mixed in 3/4 cup almond milk (you can use rice or oat too)
120ml unsweetened Apple Sauce
2 Tbsp Grapeseed (or other light tasteless oil) oil
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp Molasses
- Preheat oven to 350˚F or 180˚C.
- Grease cake pans with spray oil or buttery spread (you can use cupcake papers too).
- Let the chic seeds soak in the milk for a few mins. In a stand mixer bowl add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low with the paddle attachment till just combined. If you have a hand mixer or a spoon, thats OK too.
- Add the chocky chips and combine with a spoon.
- Spoon into pans and bake for 20 min or until a skewer comes out clean.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE DECORATIONS
I just didn’t think it was possible. VEGAN white chocolate I mean.
I have bought those lovely little chips from Enjoy Life and they are pretty good. They taste like chocolate – but -they are BROWN. I wanted to make a white chocolate snowman and brown just doesn’t cut it. UNTIL, I found a fantastic recipe for DIY White Chocolate. But, as with all new things, it just didn’t turn out the way I wanted, so I was left with beige/yellow snowmen. You know what they say about yellow snow! My gorgeous daughter suggested that I roll those little dudes in coconut and voilá, white snowmen! But I am getting ahead of myself……. White chocolate is not technically chocolate, but I don’t care. I love it’s creaminess and I’m so happy to be able to make it myself. So my chocolate turned out the wrong color so I have made modifications to the recipe below to ensure that YOUR chocolate is white.
200gm (1 cup) Raw Cocoa Butter (melted but NOT hot)
*NOTE: Yes, it says ‘moisturiser’ on the label, but this is 100% raw FOOD GRADE cocoa butter.
Yes you can eat it.
1 cup Raw Cashews
1/2 cup CLEAR liquid sweetener. A dark Agave will make your chocolate muddy.
1 tsp Clear Vanilla
- Melt the cocoa butter and let cool till it starts clouding up and is thick like custard
- Blend with all the other ingredients to a smooth paste
- Separate into little bits and color with food color to the shades you are after.
- Use disposable piping bags for each color and pipe your design.
- Decorate with nonpareils or sugar balls and GO WILD!!!